At Monro Pets, we have 3 principles for making dog collars. They must be durable, comfortable and stylish. In this article we will focus on the importance of a durable dog collar.
In a survey we sent out last year, we asked the question: "What is important to you when buying a dog collar? Why?" Of the 160 people responded, 25% said durability was important. Here are some of the explanations why:
- “Training a new service pup and some of her tasks have caused other collars to shred or rip by simple movements”
- “My dog loves to go swimming and hiking on trails. We always look for a collar that can handle our adventures.”
- “I have a Siberian Husky who...can wear and tear down just about anything and everything.”
- “Something that will hold up against how strong he is.”
- “Withstand my dog running around outside for hours”
- “Dog is extremely active and is hard on collars”
- I want it to last long / last a while (6 times)
- “Want it to be sturdy and reliable.”
- “My dog works with other dogs”
- “...doesn't break or fall off.”
- “My pup loves to get dirty.”
- “I have very active dogs.”
- My dog pulls (3 times)
You can see from the responses above, having a durable dog collar has its benefits. For some, their dogs will be able to perform tasks or do activities without damaging the collar. For some, they won't have to think about buying collars often because it holds up. Yet all pet parents want a durable dog collar because they rely on it.
If a dog collar fails then it can mean more money spent or worse, injury to their pet. This is why having durable dog collars are important. Pet parents also want a collar that is sturdy (strong), made of quality materials and secure.
A Quick Search for Durable Dog CollarsDo a quick search on Google for "durable dog collars.” What do you see on the first page?
- Search results with articles containing the following words "best" in the headline.
- A map giving you local shops from where to buy a durable dog collar.
- Pictures displaying collars made of different materials.
- The headlines with the word “indestructible.”
- A few popular dog product brands.
Here is an example of what you’ll see.
There seems to be a disconnect from what you see on Google and what pet parents want. On one hand, dog parents know why having a durable dog collar is important. On another hand, searching online doesn't yield results fitting to their needs. After all, who wants mismatched results?
What Affects Dog Collar Durability?
- Type of materials
- Construction of the collar
- Cleanliness of the collar
- Sunlight and water
- Dog activities and tasks
There are a variety of factors that affect the durability of a dog collar.
Factors Related to the Collar
Type of Materials
Construction of the Collar
- Does it look cheap or well made?
- How is the stitching? (Be sure to check near the buckle and D-ring.)
- Are there any signs of damage or defect?
Cleanliness of the Collar
Factors Related to Dogs
Sunlight and Water
Water is another threat to consider. For example, Leather has some resistance to water, but too much can damage it. Nylon and Polyester are more resistant to water, but they are not 100% waterproof. Yet, biothane is the only material for dog collars that is waterproof. Another thing about water is that it can carry bacteria, which can cause a dog collar to smell.
Dog Activities and Tasks
How often is the dog collar cleaned?
Durable Dog Collar Are Reliable
As you have seen, searching on Google for durable dog collars can be misleading. Seeing results for "best dog collars" doesn't mean they are best when it comes to durability. How then do you find a durable dog collar? You need to remember that there are a lot of things that affect a collar's durability.
Don't try to have one dog collar to use in all situations. Have a dog collar for everyday wear and daily dog walks. Have one for beach day or when your dog is around water. Have another for outdoor activities. Approach buying a dog collar this way. You'll have plenty of reliable and long-lasting options. If you are looking for a dog collar that is durable and made for everyday wear, check out our latest styles.