At Monro Pets, one of the principles of our collars is comfort. In a survey we sent out last year, we asked the question: "What is important to you when buying a dog collar? Why?" Of the 160 people responded, about 23% said comfort was important. Of the 37 that mentioned comfort, style (24%) and fit (19%) were also on their mind.
Here are some of the explanations for why comfort was important.
- "Making sure the collar is flexible and not stiff..."
- "..well fitted and not irritating to the dogs"
- "...I don't want a collar that will bother him."
- "...hard on the neck...she has sensitive skin."
- "...make sure it's not choking her"
- "...wear all the time" (3 times)
- "Soft on the neck" (2 times)
- "My dog is a puller."
Comfort is important to dog parents because they care about their pets well-being. Fit plays a part in a dog collar being comfortable. Yet, style is not something pet parents want to overlook. They want something that will express their dog's personality.
Searching for Comfortable Dog CollarsDo a quick search on Google for "comfortable dog collars" and "comfort dog collars." What do you see on the first page? For both keywords you see the following:
- Search results with articles containing the following words "best" in the headline.
- A map giving you local shops from where to buy a comfortable dog collar.
- Pictures displaying collars made of different materials.
- The words “comfort” or “comfortable.”
- The words “padded” and “soft.”
For example here...
There seems to be a disconnect from what you see on Google and what pet parents want. On one hand, dog parents know why comfort is important for a dog collar. On another hand, searching online doesn't yield results fitting to their needs. After all, who wants mismatched results?
What Makes a Dog Collar Comfortable?
- How the collar fits around the neck
- The material of the dog collar
- The weight of the collar when worn
- Your dog's activities and routine
- Your dog's reaction to wearing a collar
- How often the dog collar gets cleaned
Questions to Consider
When it comes to comfort there are a few things to consider. Here are some questions you need to answer to make your dog's collar as comfortable as possible.
How does it fit?
What is the material?
Before putting the collar on your dog's neck, wash it. Afterward, check the area around the collar often. You want to make sure there is no hair loss or skin irritations.
How does the weight feel?
What activities or tasks is your dog doing?
How does your dog behave or feel with a collar?
How often is the dog collar cleaned?
Comfortable Dog Collars Are the Best
As you have seen, searching on Google for comfortable dog collars can be misleading. Seeing results for "best dog collars" doesn't mean those collars are the best for your dog. How do you know what's best for your dog? You need to understand them. The more you understand their needs, the more comfortable the collar can be. If you are looking for a dog collar made with materials that are comfortable, check out our latest styles.